Detroit Tigers 4 vs. Toronto Blue Jays 0
- Phil Coke vs. Brett Cecil
- Scott Sizemore battling for the Tigers 2nd base job went 2 for 3(single and double) with 2 RBIs giving him an early edge.
- Phil Coke has been used primarily as a lefty specialist but now may get a shot at the back end of Detroit’s rotation. 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1K.
- Jose Bautista had a rough first day at the plate going 0 for 3 with 2 strikeouts and leaving 6 on base.
Philadelphia Phillies 5 vs. New York Yankees 4
- Cole Hamels vs. Bartolo Colon
- Dane Sardinha collected 2 hits and 2 RBIs as he attempts to beat out Brian Schneider for the back up catching job. Schneider was hitless.
- Bartolo Colon is an underdog candidate to win the Yankees 4th or 5th starter job. He looked average at best(fastball topping out in the high 80s) in his first start of the spring, so he will have some work to do if he wants to make the team.
- Joba Chamberlain looked great showing a fastball hitting as high as 94 and a good slider.
Tampa Bay Rays 9 vs. Pittsburgh Pirates 5
- David Price vs. Charlie Morton
- Johnny Damon started in LF, Manny Ramirez as the DH, Dan Johnson at 1B, and Ben Zobrist in RF. They will likely see the most time at each of those positions
- Desmond Jennings spelled Dan Johnson and walked twice, scoring both times he reached base.
- Charlie Morton and Daniel McCutchen are both competing for the 5th start spot in Pittsburgh. Morton started and pitched 2 solid scoreless innings. McCutchen on the other hand got tagged for 3 runs in a single inning.
- Evan Longoria went deep in the 4th inning. He will likely bat 3rd in front of Manny this year.
New York Mets 5 vs. Atlanta Braves 5
- Jenrry Meija vs. Jair Jurrjens
- Fernando Martinez hit a two run home run off Craig Kimbrel. Maybe this kid won’t be the super-bust he was looking like.
- Freddie Freeman got off on the right foot this year going 3 for 3 in his first Spring Training game. This kid will be the real deal.
- Johnny Venters and Craig Kimbrel will be facing off for the Braves’ closer job after Billy Wagner retired. Venters threw a scoreless inning. Kimbrel threw .1 IP allowing 2 hits, 2 walks and 2 runs.
LA Angels 4 vs. LA Dodgers(SS) 1
- Trevor Bell vs. Hiroki Kuroda
- Jeff Mathis, a Mike Scioscia favorite, went 1 for 2. Hank Conger, his competition for the Angel’s catching job also went 1 for 2 as the DH.
- Mike Trout, a 19 year old who has drawn comparisons to Mickey Mantle, started in RF and batted 9th. He was 0 for 2 at the plate.
- Hiroki Kuroda threw 2 scoreless innings for the Dodgers.
San Francisco Giants 8 vs. LA Dodgers(SS) 3
- Jonathan Sanchez vs. Tim Redding
- A much trimmer Pablo Sandoval went deep in the 4th. He may be poised for a big bounce back year.
- Mark Derosa played 2nd and went 3 for 3 with a run and an RBI. He will likely battle Pat Burrell for time in LF this season.
- Tony Gwynn Jr. (yes, son of Hall of Fame Padre Tony Gwynn) was 0 for 2 batting lead off. Marcus Thames a free agent acquisition was 1 for 3 as the DH. Thames’ defense will hurt his chances of winning a starting job for an NL team.
Colorado Rockies 8 vs. Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Aaron Heilman
- Ty Wigginton was 1 for 2 while playing 1B. He will be a utility man in Colorado and may even get a chance to start at 2B. Jose Lopez, also 1 for 2, is the favorite to be the starting 2B for the Rox.
- Aaron Heilman is being given a chance to make the DBacks rotation. 2 IP, 1 H 0 R, O K. Micah Owings got tattooed for 4 runs in .1 IP. He may have a better chance of making the team as a hitter.
- Xavier Nady keeps the slight edge over Juan Miranda as the likely starter for Arizona at first base.